Saturday, October 11, 2008

Art: What's Allowed?

So, in the art field you'll have so many artists tell you that naked people are fine 'in the art world'. They also say graphic drawings are alright 'in the art world'. People are constantly telling me that if I want to be a good artist that I have to experiment with all areas of art, even nude models.

As a follower of Christ, I don't belief drawing, painting, or sculpting a nude person is pleasing. Not in the sense that our bodies are an abomination, but the viewer is not going to be looking at a piece with the mindset of the art worlds definition of 'this is okay'. I don't want to draw something that will cause a person's mind to stumble.

So, getting to the point, my art teacher for drawing is going to have us draw a nude model. I asked if I can do a different project instead. She gave me a lecture on how 'you're supposed to suck up your religious beliefs and do the project' and 'only good artists can draw anything, even a nude'.

That's the first aspect. My other question is about graphic pictures. I'm a more physical person when I get mad. I have to hit something. Don't worry, I don't hit anyone! But I've broken several springs in my bed and I once broke a punch bag... Anyway, when I don't get my anger out by punching something I'll draw something graphic because I'm so mad.

Here's an example. It's not too graphic, but Is this an okay way of managing anger?

So...Here are my two questions.

What is considered the correct path in drawing nude models?

And Is it okay to draw graphic stuff to get my anger out over punching things and possible people?

1 comment:

MangyCat said...

What is considered the correct path in drawing nude models?
I personally found the experience of drawing nude models in my college art classes quite educational. They weren't posed provocatively, so it was more of a lesson in the shape of the human body.

However, I don't think your prof should have given you a lecture. That said, if you believe that you are safe from stumbling yourself, then go for it. (It's only one class after all, and it is part of your grade.)

If you feel that this experience would cause YOU to stumble, then it might be worth getting the failing grade on that project. It's a personal call on the part of each individual artist, I think.

Is it okay to draw graphic stuff to get my anger out over punching things and possible people?
If you don't hold onto the anger or re-experience it when you look at the image later, then I think this is a perfectly acceptable way of releasing your emotions. Creative people need a catharsis, and this sounds like it's your way.

Another question to ask would be: Which makes you feel better/release your anger more effectively? Physical violence or creative expression?